Sunday, September 14, 2008

Oh Ike!

So we decided to take our chances with big, bad Ike and ride out the hurricane with my parents at our house. Dad brought his A game and headed over with a generator. We thought we had it good! The storm blew in slowly, but around midnight, things picked up pretty quickly. We all huddled into the living room and watched in amazement as the wind howled outside. Things were fine until a few hours later when the power went out and Chris found WATER running INTO the house through the ceiling. Perfect.

The next morning dad and Chris went out to investigate. Bad news bears. Every shingle across the entire ridge line of our roof was torn off. Perfect. The weather was still too bad for them to shimmy up a ladder to take care of business. So, we headed to Chris's parents house...they had power. We stayed the night here and then Chris's dad went back to our house yesterday to repair the roof. Praise the Lord for a father in law who gets a thrill out of climbing ladders and fixing things. Chris stood and held the ladder for his father because every roofing job needs a safety captain, right??

Fast forward two days. We are still at the in law's house. They are great. It's been so nice to have air conditioning, warm meals, and hot baths.

However, Carson has decided to take a two day hiatus from napping. Apparently it's overrated. This momma is not thrilled. I am terribly exhausted and ready for the power to be on at our home. Hopefully we will be back tomorrow.

My heart sincerely goes out to those who have lost so much more than we can ever imagine. Thank you sweet Jesus for keeping my family safe. Please come quickly to those in need and comfort those who have lost everything.

2 comments:

Christina said...

OH Yea!! I have been checking every day for this post to hear how you guys handled Ike. I am so glad that yall are okay and with only a "little damage". Please let us know if we can do anything for you guys. I'll try to call in the next few days, but don't feel obligated to answer. Just call back when yall have time. Hang in there with the little man... thank God for grandparents and safety. We are so glad you guys are okay... talk to you soon.

Jene' Byrom said...

I'm so glad to hear you are ok! I have been thinking about you and praying for you. I hope you are back home and Carson is taking his naps again! Take care! Love, Jene'