Sunday, December 20, 2009

My momma told me...

Never Say Never. She did. She told me. My mom is famous for many sayings, and this is one of her favorites. I should have listened. I should have known it would come back to bit me in the rear. Yesterday it did.

Why?

Because I have always, and I mean always, said emphatically that I will never never never drive a minivan. Nope. Not me. I would rather suffer through the inconveniences and high gas prices of an SUV any day! Forget the doors that open by themselves, the seats that fold in 10 different configurations, the ample storage room in the back. Because having those things would mean that I would have to drive a minivan! No way.

But then, we got pregnant with twins. We did the math and figured out that we would be very close to having 3 kids under the age of two. Whoa! Here's how the conversation went:

Me: Well, since we'll be a family of 5 now, maybe we should get a bigger car.
Chris: Great, let's go look.
{we proceed to many dealerships, all of which make luxurious SUVs. I am in heaven.}
The husband comes home from work one day and sits me down. Ladies, this is never a good sign.
He begins to ramble about a guy in his office that has twins and drive a minivan. He gets the look of death from me.
Chris: Callie, I think we should at least go look at them.
Me: Really? Why? What's the point? If you get to drive a fully loaded sports car (which he does!) then why do I have to drive a minivan?
Chris: You don't have to drive it. Let's just go look.
{He drags me to the Honda dealership. I am convinced this tactic of his will not work!}

But then......

Then it hit me. I was going to have THREE kids under the age of TWO! When, exactly, did I think I was going to even have time to think about the car I was driving?? I was going to be lucky to get all 3 kids out the door and in ANY car, regardless of what it looked like. I started laughing out loud as the salesman showed us all the features.

We left the dealership and I just knew we would end up with a minivan. And my husband, the sweet sweet man that he is, got me the van with every convenience and luxury package they had. This was his way of making the deal better. And I really do appreciate it.

My only requirement? All windows must be tinted black. Dark black. I mean come on, a mom has gotta have some sort of cool factor while sportin' the minivan!

So just incase you were curious, here are a few pictures of our new ride. Actually, these aren't of our pimped out van. It will be delivered to us tomorrow afternoon. They had to put the spinning rims on it. Kidding, of course! But we will get it tomorrow with the dark tinted windows.

Here she is in all her wonder. Except ours is black. And it's not going to be driven on hardwood floors. But you get the picture.
The driver's seat with the navigation system. This might actually come in handy since I have lived in the same city all my life, but still can't get to the galleria without directions.
Here's the interior. Ours is grey instead of tan.



So there you have it. Mom was right all along. Never say Never!

*and please, no comments about my vanity! I realize it is silly to even discuss this sort of thing, because in the long run, what does it really matter? But, I thought I would offer a little honesty and admit that I am not perfect. I'm sure you all are shocked! wink wink

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to take a ride in the Smith Mobile!

Amanda said...

I totally relate to your feelings about the minivan. I'm sure you'll be thanking yourself for putting aside your feelings. How nice of your husband to get you a pimped-out one! Maybe when your kids get to high school you can be the cool mom who drives an awesome sports car or whatever that day's equivalent to a Hummer is.

Ashley said...

HAHA! ROCKIN.
Actually it looks really great and I get when you're throwin car seats in there and strollers you will LOVE it :) I want a ride in this baby next week!!

Julie Marler (Mammy) said...

Love it Callie! You are blessed!!! Two new babies, one precious baby boy, a husband that buys you only pimped out mini....what else could you ask for! Yep...blessed, that's it!
Mammy

P.S. How did you like my list of "C" girl names???

The Berg Family said...

Considering I don't have the "luxury" of owning anything other than an Impala or a Taurus looking thing, I am kinda jealous of your pimped out mini-van. At this point, I know it would make my life easier- so it will come in real handy for you. (Oh, and putting a 30lb kid (into a Suburban on the weekends- not real fun.)

The Miller Big Top Circus said...

Hilarious - love it! It's all about what is easy when you have three little ones ;-0

Julie Marler (Mammy) said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ashley McWhorter said...

You will ROCK it, girl!! I say go for the spinning rims! :)

Anonymous said...

I must admit, you will be the cutest minivan driver in town besides Jill Haywood! haha Love you girl!

Wendy said...

I totally felt the same way...but now I drive an Odyssey as well. It took awhile, but I LOVE it. It is sooooo convenient for many, many reasons. I figure at this stage of life, practicality and survival trump appearance :)