Tuesday morning was just like any other morning. It was 9 AM, Carson was running wild and I was already exhausted. My grandma had come over to keep him while I went to my OB for a check-up. Just a normal check-up, nothing special. I was actually looking forward to this getting out of the house! My friend, Corise, and I knew we both had appointments to see the doctor at the same time, so it was fun to meet up with her in the waiting room and have some time to chat. BTW: is it sad that moms get excited about meeting friends at the OB waiting room to hang out?? Hey, it was quiet and there were no toddlers running around, sounds perfect for moms with young kids!
While Corise and I enjoyed visiting, they called me back for an ultrasound to check the amniotic fluid levels of the girls. Check. Everything was great! They take my vital signs and my blood pressure was high. Oh rats. I sit in a room waiting for the doctor. She finally comes in...
Dr. P: So Callie, are you ready to have babies today?
Me: I'm sorry, what?!
Dr. P: Yep! There are some abnormalities in your lab work (I will spare all of you the details) and we need to take the babies out today.
{at this point I go into shock}
Me: Um, okay. Well I have to go home first! Nothing, not one thing, is packed!
Dr. P: You have one hour to go home, but then I want you at the hospital. Your c-section is scheduled for 4:00 PM.
{now I go into even greater shock}
Me: Ok, I will see you there.
She leaves the room and my head is seriously spinning. I had this conversation with the Lord, out loud, in the room while getting dressed: Lord, I know just yesterday I was crying and complaining about being pregnant. Then, I was so ready to meet these baby girls. But now?! Really?! They are too small! What if they aren't ready to be born? Lord Jesus, please protect them!
Then, I pick up the phone and call Chris. He answers and the first thing I say is Chris, we are having babies today! Chris, being the wild, spontaneous person that he is let's out a "This is AWESOME!" I assure him that this is indeed not awesome and that I am freaking out! He admits to me "Ok, yeah, I am freaking out too, but I am going to try to be calm for you." Thanks, babe! He tells me to drive home safely and we each decide who is calling which family members. We decide to meet at the house, pack bags, and then leave.
Suddenly, as I walk in the door of our home, the whirlwind of craziness begins. Imagine two extremely nervous/excited parents + one crazy wild 2 year old + my confused Grandma who is there watching said 2 year old. It was WILD y'all!! Chris and I ran around the house throwing things into bags. Grandma packed all the bows and clothes I had laid out for the girls (none of which they have worn...but they will!). Carson, bless his little heart, was so confused! We kepts telling him that his baby sisters were coming today, he just kept saying "Baby sistas, mama's tummy." Everything we put into a suitcase, he took out. We pulled things out of drawers, so he came behind me and pulled more things out of drawers. I have no idea what my house looked like by the time we left, but I am sure it ain't pretty!
After about an hour of running around, making phone calls, making arrangements for Carson, etc. Chris and I finally pulled out of the driveway. We drove through What-a-burger for Chris and looking back on it now, I should have gotten myself something to eat too! But, being the good patient that I am, I only had a few of his fries before we made it to the hospital.
Fast forward several hours. If you have been to a hospital for any reason, you know the drill; hurry up and wait. That's exactly what we did. We waited for my doctor to arrive. She did. We waited for the anesthesiologist to arrive. He did. Then he left. We waited for the neo-natologist to arrive. She did. Anesthesiologist came back. Get the picture? This went on until about 5:00 PM. Finally, they came to get me and we were ready to go!
Let me just stop right here and say that I think operating rooms are the creepiest places ever! Cold. Sterile. Bright lights. Ugh. But, despite my aversion to the OR, the delivery went well and the girls were born within a minute of each other. Caroline came first and the doctor held her up for us to see. Meanwhile, I hear the other doctor say oh wow! here comes the second one!And sure enough, little Miss Carleigh was right behind her sister. My doctor told me that she actually came out on her own. Funny thing is, this is totally Carleigh's personality already! She is our little stinker! It's so fun to see their little differences so early on in life!
To be honest, the rest of the night and most of the next day was blur to me. I did get to go up to the NICU that night and see the girls for just a few minutes. We saw them the next morning as well, but recovering from the c-section totally wore me out, and it still is!
Today, our girls are still in the NICU but are doing so well! They have several "benchmarks" they need to meet before we can bring them home.


9 comments:
You are so on top of things! I LOVED reading this story! I can't believe you only had an hour to do everything. I can only imagine how crazy that would have been! Bless your heart. And to think that you now have two precious baby girls! I think that is SO fun, as I'm sure you do as well!
Callie, they are beautiful! And they look like you! I'll be praying that you get to bring them home soon.
Callie-girl! What a fun story!! And what a blessing-surprise easy birth from God! I'm so thankful that all went well and both girls are doing so well. They look a lot like you!! And I know between the Grands and you - they will always be dressed like little girls should be!! Praying that God gives you and your family a very special and smooth transition when you all go home! Carson will be doing things that are not so great just to get your attention and loving on you and the babies at the same time! I know you and Chris (along with the Grands) will give him some much needed "Carson" time when he feels the "competition"!! Can't wait to see what else God has in store for you! YOU ARE BLESSED!
Mammy
I can't believe you have TWO baby girls to hold! Loved reading the whirlwind story...their entrance to the world is one that won't quickly be forgotten!
I think the look just like you Callie! I have seen you make that same crying face! J/K Glad to hear they are getting stronger by the day and soon they will be on their way home! So happy that they are so healthy, what a blessing!
What sweet memories these will be!! I love them already!
Yay Callie! They are just precious and I know it must be hard being home and having them up there, but the Lord is totally protecting them. Praying for your recovery and that they meet those benchmarks soon!
Love ya girl!
Kenz
I am a friend of Wendy and Leslie and have boy/girl twins. Just reading your post brings back memories! Congrats on the double blessing! We too spent some time in NICU. We'll be praying for the NICU graduation to happen soon!
How are these children already ridiculously tan?? I am a little jealous! SO adorable! I can't wait to get there and meet them!! Love you!
Post a Comment