Saturday, October 9, 2010

Editing

Have you ever had one of those days when you feel like you just need to edit? This word has been a constant topic of my conversations lately. Why? Because I think I need to learn how to edit my life. I love people. I have a real heart for moms my age. I love ministering to them. Meeting new moms, inviting them to bible study, church, play dates. For real. Give me an empty calender and I can fill that baby up fast! Another little known fact about me; I hate to miss out on things! If friends are getting together, I want to be there. If a great bible study teacher is teaching, I want to go. I just don't want to miss anything.

For instance, last week, we had something going on every day of the week. Every day my babies missed their morning naps and/or took them in the car. The things we were doing were good. Seeing friends, going to bible study, having play dates at the park. But at what price? My kids (all 3 of them) were plum worn out. Exhausted. I was frustrated with them because they weren't sleeping, eating, playing sweetly like they should. They were probably equally frustrated with me for dragging them all over creation. It was a bad combination.

But when I sat down with Chris Thursday night and went on and on about how tired I was, he looked at me and said, you need to slow down. And he is right. I need to learn how to edit. I need to be home more, read my kids more books, play play-dough with Carson, rock the girls to sleep, sit and enjoy some "me time" at my sewing machine. I need to slow down. My mom and I talked last night about how quickly my baby girls will grow up. I mean, I can't believe they will already be 6 months old in a few weeks! And because time flies by, I need to slow down.

So if you see me around town and think, wow, I really haven't seen Callie in a while, just know that its due to my new efforts to edit. Not because I don't love my friends, my church, my busyness, but rather because I love my family.

Here's to my new efforts in editing. Cheers!

8 comments:

Kelli said...

Callie you are so wise. You will NOT regret that. And someday, we will all be able to do all those things, but right now you are VERY right about spending some of that slow down time at home. Chris and I had that SAME conversation earlier this year. I'll be praying for you to find that perfect balance!

Anonymous said...

So proud that you will be "editing". I'm doing the same at work. Feels downright GOOD.

Sarah said...

Good for you! It only gets crazier as they get older. Stay at home one day and stay in your pajamas ALL day like we used to do in college!

Missy said...

I can't wait to hear your updates on your newly "edited" life. :) You might have to squeeze in more time for me though. ha ha

The Blowey Bunch said...

I stumbled on your you blog from a freinds blog and wanted to tell you its kind of funny how God works... I just told myself the same things this past week that I need to do less and enjoy more and He confirmed my feelings by reading the same thing on your post, how crazy is that! I have a 3 1/2 yr old and an 8 month old and we all got sick this week FORCING us to just be... we needed it and I am glad for it, and I will be doing a LOT more editing myself! Just wanted to let oyu know you were not alone in that and your blog encouraged me!

Anonymous said...

So Proud of you & love you more than you know!!
Mom
x/o

Jennifer said...

I agree, I had a mini meltdown last night because I feel like I just rush, rush, rush for things with the kids and just life in general. I feel like I need a day to just do things for myself and hang out with other girls like me without having to hurry with the kids.

The Miller Big Top Circus said...

all of us feel like we have to do it all, because we all feel like everyone else is doing it all. How do they balance it all, and keep it all together and why can't I? - it goes through all of our minds. The truth is we are all doing too much. All of it can be "good" things, but some of the best advice that someone gave me, was that Jesus didn't do it all. He didn't heal every sick person, he didn't minister to every person in need. He ONLY did what the FATHER told him to do. Good stuff!!