Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Gulf Shores Part One

Last week we experienced a first for our family. We packed all the kids up and headed to the beautiful Gulf Shores, AL. It's a solid 8 hour drive to GS, but we knew we'd be lucky if we made it in 10. Let me clarify, I am not a road trip gal. I do love to travel, but I'd much rather arrive by plane, not by car. However, I knew that once we got there we would get to see some of our favorite people...
We met Mark and Sarah during our first year of marriage (well, technically I knew Mark in college, but I met Sarah later on). They are lifetime friends. You know, the ones you will always keep in touch with. The ones you don't see for a long time, but then get together and it feels like nothing has changed. They are that for us. We live a long ways from each other and we thought it would be fun to plan a little family getaway before Smith baby #4 arrives. Their 2 kids are almost the exact same age as ours, so we thought this would be perfect. The kids would play quietly on the beach together and the adults would sit in the sun drinking cold beverages. And that's exactly how it went. {insert sarcasm} Although it didn't quote turn out like that, it was in fact, a very relaxing trip. Our kids were on totally opposite napping schedules so we really never got to all be out on the beach together, but we made up for it in the evenings at dinner.

But I am getting ahead of myself...

Back to the drive. It really wasn't that bad. We woke the kids up at 4:30 AM, put them in the car and headed out. The girls fell right back asleep. but not Carson. He kept saying Dad! it's very dark outside today. The child stayed up for the entire drive. I couldn't believe it! Granted, watching Toy Story certainly helped him behave. But, all in all, it was a pretty good trip. We stopped once for breakfast, once for lunch and then finally made it to the condo. We immediately put on our suits and headed out to the beach!

Carson and Taylor played so well together!
We made a pit stop at the pool and the kids loved it!

Finally, we put our toes in the sand! The beach was absolutely beautiful!


And the kids sure did look cool in their glasses (thanks Mimi!)


That night we ordered pizza and tried to recover from the long day. All 3 of my kids went right down for bed and the adults got to sit up and talk. We got a great night's sleep and woke up ready for day #2.....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So so glad you all got together and had such a great time! I miss Mark and Sarah!