Sunday, October 19, 2008

We're Country Y'all!!

Ok, so maybe I lied a little. Or maybe a lot. We're not really country. Not in any form or fashion. I mean, I wish I could say that I am super outdoorsy (is that even a word?) but the truth is that I don't know the first thing about the country.
Don't really even know the difference between a crow and a pigeon.
Can't tell the difference between a male and female chicken.
And really could care less about how to build a chicken coop.
However, I really, truly do want Carson to be an outdoors man. Right? Isn't that what boys are supposed to do? Be outside and stink?

So...we decided to school our child in all things country and we took him to see my sweet sweet Grandparents. When my brother and I were little we seriously called these grandparents "NeNaw and PaPaw Country." Yes, we for real tagged on the word country onto their names. We are such city people.

Here's how our day went:

NeNaw shows Carson chickens for the first time. Bless this child's heart, he doesn't know what to think.



Still a little unsure about the cackling feathered things. Pops tries to get Carson a little closer to the action...


Finally, mom gets down and dirty with the boy. Ok, I use the term "dirty" loosely. For real. Mama can't mess up a good pedicure!


Carson and Papa Country. (Doesn't this man just scream the word country?!)


Carson, are you feeling ok? Don't know what to think about all this do you son?

Chicken Craziness!


Finally, dad takes the boy over to the chicken coops. For you city people, a chicken coop is where the chickens live. Geez, must I explain everything to you guys?!



And last, but certainly not least, we had to take Carson out to see Papa Country's wrecker.
Yes, my grandfather drives a wrecker and still drives up and down I-10 at insane hours to rescue stranded drivers. How this man manages to crawl up under cars, attach them to his truck, and tow them away amazes me! Notice the name on the truck. Yup, you read it right. SNAKE. That's my PaPaw's nickname around town. Don't mess with the man or his family. He's got the name for a reason (although I'm not quite sure I've ever gotten the true story behind it all). I love my grandpa more than words can ever express. He is a salt of the earth, give the shirt off his back kind of man. He has never, and I mean never, met a stranger. He loves my Ne Naw with all his heart and loves the Lord even more. He is one of the funniest men I know and certainly loves to be the center of attention.


All in all, we had a fabulous trip to the country and we plan to make many more trips in the future. I mean let's be honest. Someone has to teach my child about the country. Lord knows this mama can't do it!

4 comments:

Melanie... said...

I'd be very interested in the story of how he got the nickname Snake. I'm intrigued!

fleur said...

Does he still have the old wrecker we drove in high school? That was fun - such daredevils and rebels we were!
I don't remember them having chickens, though...did I block that out or was I too full of watermelon to remember anything except eating a bunch of watermelon and your grandmother showing me how to cut a tomato? You probably don't remember that...

Anonymous said...

That is hilarious how he's observing the chickens...he looks as though he's thinking "okay...so you're telling me this is normal?! Those things look nothing like Sadie-bird!" Poor city baby. Can't blame him.

Savvy said...

So cute. Can I say I love your PaPaw or I mean "Snake"? I wish I had a freakin' awesome reptile nickname. They are too cool for words.