Let me just start by saying that if you live anywhere close to the state of Arizona, you must go visit Sedona. Even if you don't live close, you still need to go! It is a true gem of a town! Read below and I will take you on our little trip...
We arrive at the airport in time to take a quick bathroom break and catch our breath before boarding the plane. As we walk up to the terminal there is a massive, and I mean massive, man sitting down. The following conversation ensues:
Chris: Hey Callie! Go sit next to that guy!
Me: Ha! You must be kidding, he's huge!
Chris: I'm for real. Go sit next to him.
(very reluctantly, I submit and do what he asks)
(the man looks annoyed and turns the other way, he continues talking on the phone in a language we don't understand)
Chris: Callie, this guy is famous.
Me: Sure. Whatever.
Chris: No seriously, he really is! I think he's a wrestler!
Me: Well, you know me and my wrestling! I am so up to date in that area!
Chris: Fine! I will prove it to you!
(note: all this is said in super quiet whispers. Giant man is sitting right next to us)
(Chris pulls out the Blackberry and google the words Big Foreign Wrestler - no kidding, he seriously googles that)
Me: Chris! Put that away! Scary huge man is looking over your shoulder! He knows what you are doing.
(huge scary man really IS looking over his shoulder now)
(Chris laughs and, of course, keeps searching)
Me: Seriously, Chris. He's going to smush you if you don't stop!
Chris: OH! BOO YAH! You owe me! Check this out!
(he shows me this picture below)

Me: (freaking out) NO WAY! You are right! That really is him! Now he is really going to smush you because he is looking at the picture of himself on your phone!
Chris: So? Who cares?
Me: I care! This is a supposed to be a vacation on which you don't have a black eye from huge scary man!
Chris: (beaming with pride in his google search) I was right! Just say it!
Me: Fine! You were right!
Chris: Thanks! Now go over there and take his picture.
Me: HAHA! You must be smoking something!
Chris: For real. You know I am not going to drop this until you do it. Promise. I will google him again and point to my phone this time, showing him what I am doing!
Me: Fine! A picture it is!
(I move away from Chris and fake like I am taking a typical tourist photo - oh come on! Don't pretend like you haven't done this before!)
Here's the picture I get. Clearly big huge man knew what I was doing and turned his head. Smart cookie!

Either way, this is a real picture of him. And yes, it really was him. He was huge! And his name is the Great Khali. Go figure.
When we arrived in Phoenix we really did question our decision to come to Sedona. Let's just say that Phoenix is no better than Houston. Hot, humid, cement, etc. But we had faith. And the closer we got to Sedona, the view started to change.








Chris and I were amazed by the beauty of the Red Rocks. We have been to Colorado and Whistler and thought we had seen the most beautiful mountain ranges. But they had nothing on these red rocks...simply amazing!


We headed straight to the fitness center after unloading our things. We had spent the morning traveling and we needed to get some exercise. After running on the treadmills, we decided since we were already sweating and gross, that we might as well go ahead and attempt our first hike. Bad idea. Do not try to hike this mountain right after running. Your legs and heart will not like you. Chris and I were wiped out!

We caught our breath and then headed back down. The hike/climb was tough, but worth it for the view! We headed back to the hotel to clean up and go out to dinner.


We found great restaurants there! We definitely made up for all the calories we burned running and hiking! The next morning we ordered room service and had breakfast in bed. Wonderful.


Then we headed to the morning Yoga class at our hotel. The Smith Family + Yoga is an interesting combination! Chris and I laughed when she told us to have a little chat with our bodies. Tell our bodies that we love it and that we worship it. HA! We didn't buy into the whole "spiritual" (I use the word loosely) part of it, but we did feel relaxed afterwards. It was nice to give our muscles a good stretch to prepare for a great day!
The second day we did a water to wine tour and as luck would have it I forgot my camera! Imagine these pictures:
{Chris and Callie in kayaks on the Verde river}
{Chris spraying Callie with the water guns and smashing into her kayak during the rapids}
{A beautiful winery in the middle of the desert - YES! It does exist!}
Moving on.
The next morning we repeated our Yoga class and then headed to the Church of the Holy Cross. This church is literally carved out of the rock and is amazing. Unfortunately, my photography skills are lacking so you will have to use your imagination (again).










We then booked it back to the Hotel to check in at the Spa. We had appointments and my oh my were they divine! After the spa, we headed out to dinner again. (looking nice and refreshed I must add)


That night we shared a bottle of wine (from the winery) on the rooftop of the hotel. You could see the red Rocks all around us. But alas, my photography skills fail me again. So Chris is left to entertain you.




We took another short trip out of Sedona a few miles and did a quick little hike in West Fork. This was a canyon and it was stunning!














We saw this little critter everywhere. I am sure it's just a big ant, but we thought we'd snap a shot of it.






On the drive back to Sedona, we happened upon another place to hike. We didn't have time to follow the trail, but we took a few pictures...












When we got back in town we followed the same routine. Freshen up, eat dinner. Like I said, the food was amazing! This was our last night there so we spent the time after dinner walking around town.
Here is the fried cactus that we ate. You can't go to Arizona and not eat cactus!
This was the view from one of the shopping areas.
All in all, this was an AMAZING trip. Tons of things to do in Sedona. Hike, Kayak, Yoga :). It would be a great family vacation. Chris and I talked the entire time about how we want to bring Carson back when he is older. Speaking of Carson. He had a great time with Mimi and Pops. We missed him SO much!! We were definitely ready to get back to see him but we also loved the time with just the two of us!

















7 comments:
I am thrilled that you guys loved it so much! Gordon family Vaca? Haha
Wow, your pictures are amazing! I've never heard of fried cactus though. Was it good?
Mrs. Smith!! That wrestler IISS famous!! He's been in like actual movies like Get Smart. Heellooooo!!
and you're making me very very envious right now. I think my parents took us to Arizona two summers ago. Approximately? And it was very very gorgeous.
Have a wonderful rest of your summer!!
- Kiera
Looks like a fabulous time! I told Conn that we will have visit there for sure. Oh, did Chris get a new hair do?? HA! IS it funny that I noticed it? :)
I was just about to say...that wrestler is in the movie Get Smart...but I see I wasn't the first person to notice that! Next time you need to keep heading west all the way to LA! It only gets prettier I promise :)
Ya'll are hilarious!!! What a fun trip!!
I was cracking up over the whole "wrestler at the airport" incident!! Didn't think there was anyone crazier than Conn - but I think you may be married to him! Sedona looks beautiful. We've talked about going there but haven't made it so far! For some reason I just can't imagine Pappy enjoying yoga or me hiking up those beautiful mountains. But I could definitely get into the spa thing for sure!! Loved all your pics!
Mammy
Post a Comment