Saturday, January 14, 2012

Let's pretend Christmas was just the other day

Because this blog serves mostly as a memory book for my children, I think it's only appropriate that you bear with me while I pretend that Christmas was only a few days ago.  I want to, if only for a second, pretend that I am "sally on the spot" and am that blogger that can write about things the day after they happen.  One day maybe I will be that girl.  But today, we're just going to pretend.  Here we go!

Christmas this year was fantastic!  We had an awesome time teaching Carson all about baby Jesus, and the Christmas story.  We also enjoyed Santa (see, in our house, the two get along pretty well - we manage to do both - Santa and Jesus.  And we love it).
My parents came over Christmas Eve day and we spent time together at the house.  Confession - I didn't change out of my pajamas all day - yay me!
Carson and Mimi did a few Christmas crafts and Pops snuggled with Cami.

Of course, we had to make cookies for Santa.

However, I got too easily distracted and forgot about the cookies in the oven.  Dern.  I'm pretty sure Santa didn't care.
We decided to let the kids decorate the cookies and make a mess.  They had a blast!
I love this picture of Sadie (our dog) eyeing the cookies!
Ha!  Look at those poor burnt cookies!  I laugh every time I see this picture!
Daddy even helped little!
Sprinkles!!
As we finished decorating the cookies we heard the doorbell ring.  The kids ran to see who it was!
SANTA!
Funniest part of the night by far: the girls were frozen stiff and weren't so sure about the crazy man in the costume.  Carson, however, wasn't that easily fooled.  As soon as Santa said "Ho ho ho! Merry Christmas!  I'm looking for a boy named Carson!" Carson stood for a second, thought about it and then blurted out "POPS!  That's you!  You're not Santa!"
Bahahaha!!
We all, including Santa, busted out laughing!










Santa stayed for a visit, and brought each kid one gift.  Cami got this amazingly soft blanket, the girls got the American Girl Twin dolls, and Carson got puzzles. 









Santa left for the evening and we all gathered in the living room to read the Christmas story and sing carols.



Then we tried to take a family picture.
I do't think we got even one with everyone looking.

We set out the cookies and milk for Santa and put the kids to bed.
The elves worked hard on some last minute touch ups.

And we called it a night!

The next morning was so much fun!  Carson was over the moon excited!  The girls pretty much had no idea what was going on :).  We opened gifts and then headed to Gigi and Pa's house!

















Chris's sister and her husband were in town from LA.  They had never met Cami and we hadn't even seen them since their wedding.  It really was great to all be together!




My mother in law just happens to be the hostess with the mostess!  She made brunch for all of use and even had fun little Christmas cups for the kids.
And let's talk for a second about her baking.  This woman can bake!  Yes, she made these cookies, and formed them into a tree.
And the peppermint cookies?  Precious!








After breakfast, we opened gifts!






The kids got tool bench accessories and kitchen accessories.  Hmmmm, I wonder what else was hidden upstairs???


























The boys fried the Christmas turkey outside in the rain.




We stayed warm by the fire inside with the kids.  Isn't this picture just too too sweet??



After lunch, everyone got naps (a Christmas miracle!) and then it was time for the telling of the Christmas story!


Chris and Ashley read the story out of the family bible.
Gigi dressed the kids as shepherds and their job was to follow the stars to find baby Jesus.






They carried lanterns and searched for the baby Jesus.


And the star led them right to the baby!
Carson was very very into this.  It was a precious memory!




Then, we loaded up 4 tired babies and headed home!
The next day was a full day of rest!  Grant and Ashley came over to hang out before they headed back to LA and we let the kids enjoy their new toys.




On the 27th we celebrated Christmas with my side of the family.  We opened presents that night and decided to have Mexican food for our Christmas meal.  It was soooo delicious!




The girls got some play jewelry so daddy needed to be their model.  I'm pretty sure if someone had told the 25 year old Chris that one day he would have 4 children, and wear his little girl's play jewelry, he would have never believed them!  Here's the proof:
My brother, Anthony, got the task of holding Cami for the evening :)
But I mean, come on, that's not such a bad job when you're staring at this precious face!

One night, my parents took us out to an awesome steak house near our side of town.  This huge statue of Sam Houston is outside.  Carson was is complete awe!
The inside of the restaurant was beautiful and the food was great!






My parents also watched the kids one night and we actually got a date night with my brother and SIL.  That might have been my favorite Christmas gift - it was so much fun to hang out with them!
And that sums up our Christmas.
And I must pat myself on the back.  I mean, it's only a few days after all the festivities and I already have a blog post written about it!!
Impressive, don't you think?? {wink wink}

No comments: