Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Weekend update and Spousal obligations

Yes, I know it is Wednesday and I am just now posting about this past weekend. Trust me, it's been a LONG week already!

This weekend my brother, sister-in-law, and nephew came in town to celebrate the family's April Birthdays (mom and Anthony). We had such a good time visiting and catching up. They hadn't seen Carson since he was born and we were excited for him to get to be with his aunt and uncle! Mom, Kara and I took Carson on a walk Saturday afternoon and we had great girl time together. Saturday night we all went out to dinner and annoyed the boys by taking too many photos at the dinner table...oh well, they can get over it!


me, Kara and Anthony

Stayton and Chris - acting goofy like usual

Mom and dad

Carson with Aunt Kara and Uncle Anthony

Now for the Spousal Obligati0n portion of the weekend...
Let me explain. Chris loves crawfish. I hate them. Anything that requires that much work to eat just isn't worth it. I don't like the flavor. Don't like the smell. Don't like the mess. And certainly don't like the fact that you have to dig the poop out of the animal before eating it. Sick me out. Well, Spring, TX has an annual crawfish festival that Chris has begged to go to for the past 2 years. I have managed to weasel my way out of it, but this year I just couldn't. The man wouldn't even accept my excuse when it involved Carson. On Saturday he made me pinky swear (yea, just like junior high) that I would go to the festival with him on Sunday. I prayed for rain. But the rain never came. I had to go. Sick me out. We left Carson with my parents and headed out. Chris was so excited, but I knew what we would encounter when we got there and knew it wouldn't be pretty.

I must choose my words carefully for risk of offending any of you who are festival lovers. You must understand that this just isn't my thing. Too many scantly clad women, too much alcohol served and way too many pitt bulls walking on leashes. As we entered the festival I just stared around me in amazement. These people were having a blast and probably looked forward to this all year. The Zydeco music played in the background and there were crawfish at every turn. Chris picked the vendor from which to purchase his prized meal and we found a seat near the band. Let me also add that Zydeco music just isn't my favorite. Somewhere between the accordion, the synthesizer, and the washboard I loose my interest. Nonetheless, we sit and listen to the band play. Take a look at the members of the band...for some reason the clothes they were wearing just didn't match up with the "I just sold my donkey at the auction" lyrics that they were singing...



Then, as if all of this wasn't enough, this sweet gentleman stepped out onto the dance "floor" and proceeded to dance on roller skates. For real? An old man on roller skates? This can't be real. Oh, but it was. I have proof.



All in all, Chris and I had a good time together (without the babe in tow) and they weather was nice. I would have much preferred a nice, quiet, romantic dinner, but every now and then we must succumb to spousal obligations.

*side note - we will not be returning to the Crawfish Festival next year. Chris determined that he has tasted better crawfish at other places. Plus, Mr. Lee (our neighbor) invited us over this weekend for crawfish. People! When does crawfish season end?!?

2 comments:

Ashley McWhorter said...

So glad y'all had fun celebrating your April birthdays!!!! We have MANY of those ourselves. Sorry I haven't called you back! It has been a LONG week around here, too. And it is only Wed. Uhhhhh!!!! I WILL call you back! Love you! Oh, we LOVE crawfish, but we just stick with Willies.

Anonymous said...

I actually laughed out loud, not just lol.